Categories of Personal Data We Collect
Below lists the categories of Personal Data that we collect and have collected over the past 12 months:
- Contact Information (e.g., first and last name, email address)
- Device/IP data (e.g., IP address)
- Usage Analytics (e.g., interactions with our web properties and newsletters)
- Geolocation Data (e.g., IP-address-based location information)
- Other Identifying information that You Voluntarily Provide (e.g., identifying information in emails or letters you send us)
Sources of Personal Data
We collect Personal Data about you from the following categories of sources:
- When you provide such information directly to us.
- When Personal Data about you is automatically collected in connection with your use of our site (see the subsection titled “Information Collected Automatically” below).
- Third Parties
- Vendors: For example, we may use analytics providers to analyze how you interact and engage with this site, or third parties may help us provide you with customer support.
Information Collected Automatically
We use the following types of Cookies:
- Essential Cookies. Essential Cookies are required for providing you with features or services that you have requested. For example, certain Cookies enable you to log into secure areas of our site. Disabling these Cookies may make certain features and services unavailable.
- Functional Cookies. Functional Cookies are used to record your choices and settings regarding our sites, maintain your preferences over time and recognize you when you return to our site. These Cookies help us to personalize our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Performance/Analytical Cookies. Performance/Analytical Cookies allow us to understand how visitors use our site such as by collecting information about the number of visitors to this site, what pages visitors view on our site and how long visitors are viewing pages on the site. Performance/Analytical Cookies also help us measure the performance of our advertising campaigns in order to help us improve our campaigns and the site’s content for those who engage with our advertising. In addition to our own Performance/Analytical Cookies, this site may contain Performance/Analytical Cookies from third party analytics services. You can learn more about these third parties in the “Personal Data Sales Opt-Out and Opt-In” section below.
You can decide whether or not to accept Cookies through your internet browser’s settings. Most browsers have an option for turning off the Cookie feature, which will prevent your browser from accepting new Cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allow you to decide on acceptance of each new Cookie in a variety of ways. You can also delete all Cookies that are already on your device. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit our website and some of functionalities may not work.
To explore what Cookie settings are available to you, look in the “preferences” or “options” section of your browser’s menu. To find out more information about Cookies, including information about how to manage and delete Cookies, please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
How We Use Your Personal Data
We process Personal Data to operate, improve, and understand our site. We collect and use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To meet or fulfill the reason you provided the information to us.
- To communicate with you about the site, including announcements and updates.
- To provide support and assistance for this site
- To deliver our newsletters, emails and facilitate events.
- To manage visitors to our offices and protect our proprietary information and intellectual property.
- To respond to user inquiries and fulfill user requests.
- To improve and develop this site, including testing, research, analysis and product development.
- To protect against or deter fraudulent, illegal or harmful actions and maintain the safety, security and integrity of our site.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
We will not collect additional categories of Personal Data or use the Personal Data we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
As noted in the list above, we may communicate with you if you’ve provided us the means to do so. For example, if you’ve given us your email address, we may send you email you about your use of this site. Also, we may receive a confirmation when you open an email from us, which helps us improve our site. If you do not want to receive communications from us, please indicate your preference by contacting RockCreek at (202) 331-3400.
We may create aggregated, de-identified or anonymized data from the Personal Data we collect, including by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to a particular user. We may use such aggregated, de-identified or anonymized data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze, build and improve this site and promote our business, provided that we will not share such data in a manner that could identify you.
How We Share Your Personal Data
Categories of Third Parties with Whom We Share Personal Data
We disclose your Personal Data as indicated above to the following categories of service providers and other parties:
- Service Providers
- Categories of Personal Data Shared: We disclose Contact Information and Usage Analytics to our Service Providers.
- Purposes for Sharing: These third-party service providers help us provide our services and operate our business, including ad networks, analytics providers, security and fraud prevention providers, hosting and other technology and communications providers, and staff augmentation and contract personnel. We also use third-party service providers to help us manage newsletter signups and email services and for event registration. When we share your Personal Data with Service Providers, they may only use your Personal Data for specific purposes relating to assisting us with running our business.
- Successors to Our Business
- Categories of Personal Data Shared: All Personal Data.
- Purposes for Sharing: Your Personal Data may also be transferred to a third party if we undergo a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy or other transaction in which that third party assumes control of our business (in whole or in part).
Data Security and Retention
We seek to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use and disclosure using appropriate physical, technical, organizational and administrative security measures based on the type of Personal Data and how we are processing that data. For example, this site use industry-standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to allow for the encryption of Personal Data you provide to us. You should also help protect your data by appropriately selecting and protecting your password and/or another sign-on mechanism; limiting access to your computer or device and browser; and signing off after you have finished accessing your account. Although we work to protect the security of your account and other data that we hold in our records, please be aware that no method of transmitting data over the Internet or storing data is completely secure. We cannot guarantee the complete security of any data you share with us, and except as expressly required by law, we are not responsible for the theft, destruction, loss or inadvertent disclosure of your information or content.
We retain Personal Data about you for as long as we have a business purpose to do so. In some cases, we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. We may further retain information in an anonymous or aggregated form where that information would not identify you personally.
Personal Data of Children
We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data about children under 13 years of age; if you are a child under the age of 13, please do not attempt to register for or otherwise use this site or send us any Personal Data. If we learn we have collected Personal Data from a child under 13 years of age, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a child under 13 years of age may have provided Personal Data to us, please contact RockCreek at (202) 331-3400.